TranslateMedia Limited, which trades as TranslateMedia (“TranslateMedia” or “we”) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) and the EU General Data Protection Regulations 2018 (the GDPR), the data controller is TranslateMedia Ltd, 4th Floor, 292 Vauxhall Bridge Road, London, SW1V 1AE, United Kingdom, and in the case that TranslateMedia is commissioned by you to translate content that contains personal data, TranslateMedia is the data processor according to the GDPR. TranslateMedia complies with the GDPR under the data protection supervisory authority of the Information Commissioner’s Office in the United Kingdom.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our site www.translatemedia.com or any other site operated by us (our site). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to our service, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site or our services.
- Where you provide information to us related to a commercial transaction in the form of a request for quotation, an enquiry via telephone or email, or an order processed via the website we will inform you that the legal basis for us storing your personal data is contractual necessity; it is necessary for TranslateMedia to store your personal data in order to enter into a commercial transaction or relationship. We will inform you, via clear messages on the relevant forms that allow you to enter personal data, of the legal basis on which we retain your information, the retention period of that data and your rights as required by the GDPR, and how to contact us to enact those rights as you may wish.
- Where you join our mailing list we will ask you, via clear messages on the relevant forms that allow you to enter personal data, to confirm your consent for us to store your personal data, in line with the legal basis on which we will store that data, as we as the retention period of that data and your rights as required by the GDPR legislation, and how to contact us to enact those rights as you may wish.
We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our site and of the fulfilment of orders.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our service or software providers. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your use of our site.
- To recognise you when you return to our site.
- To serve targeting advertising and personalised content.
Where we store your personal data
The data that we collect from you is stored on TranslateMedia’s servers in the United Kingdom, and on backup media also located inside the United Kingdom. During the course of serving your requirements, your data may be made available to TranslateMedia’s employees in offices located outside the European Economic Area (EEA), in order to adequately service your requirements.
Where content for translation includes personal data, TranslateMedia is the data processor as defined in the GDPR. TranslateMedia will classify incoming content for translation for personal data, and flag content that includes personal data. Such content will have relevant restrictions, including not being sent outside of the European Economic Area, or being transferred outside of TranslateMedia’s systems.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
How long we store your data for, and on what legal basis
TranslateMedia will store your data for only the required period to help us deliver your services and manage our relationship, while complying with relevant tax and insurance requirements. The specific storage periods are as follows:
a) Applicants for employment at TranslateMedia will have the personal information that you submit via online application forms stored for the duration of the time that the role is open for, and for an additional three years, in case any other suitable role becomes available. Your data is stored on the basis of contractual necessity, as this is the first step in the path towards an employment contract with TranslateMedia.
b) Clients and prospective clients will have the personal information that you submit via online contact forms or during the course of telephone or email communications stored for the duration of the time that you are an active prospect or client with TranslateMedia, and for a period of seven years thereafter. Your data is stored on the basis of contractual necessary, as this information is required for servicing your requirements, and for auditing, tax, and insurance purposes.
c) Linguists, suppliers, and linguist applicants will have the personal information that you submit via online application forms or via email stored for the duration of your working with TranslateMedia, and for a period of seven years thereafter, for auditing, tax, and insurance purposes. Your data is stored on the legal basis of legitimate interest, since we may want to store your details and select you for relevant and suitable freelance work at any time after your initial registration.
d) Mailing list subscribers will have the personal information that you submit via the online subscription form stored for up to five years, and is stored on the legal basis of consent, which you will be asked to give explicitly when signing up.
e) Content sent to TranslateMedia for translation or to enable the delivery of any other professional service will be processed and stored for the duration of the time that you are an active client of TranslateMedia, and for ten years afterwards for auditing, tax and insurance purposes. The content is stored on the basis of contractual necessity, since TranslateMedia cannot deliver its services without processing and storing the content.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- We will not pass your details to third parties to use your data for marketing purposes.
If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) or, where you have given your consent, by telephone, with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, please tick the relevant box(es) situated on the form on which we collect your data.
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our service or software providers, or partners, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users.
Disclosure of your information
- We may disclose your personal information to our subsidiaries.
- We may disclose your personal information to third parties that help us to deliver your services or marketing messages; in accordance with the GDPR, TranslateMedia will ensure that such third parties take steps to keep your personal information secure and private:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If TranslateMedia Ltd or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers and translators will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of TranslateMedia Ltd, our customers, translators or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
In accordance with the GDPR you have the right to be informed about what personal information of yours we store, how we store your personal information, as well as rights to access, rectify, erase, restrict processing, object, port, and related to automated processing, profiling and decision-making.
We will always inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by not opting in to receive such messages on the forms we use to collect your data, or by contacting us at 4th Floor, 292 Vauxhall Bridge Road, London, United Kingdom SW1V 1AE with your request. All requests will be responded to in full within one business day, as per the GDPR.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The GDPR gives you the right to access information held about you, request changes, erasure, and more. Your rights can be exercised in accordance with the GDPR, free of charge and within 24 hours of your request.
Additional documentation relating to GDPR
For more information on TranslateMedia’s policies, documentation and compliance with relevant legislation such as the GDPR, please visit translatemedia.com/gdpr.